Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Burned Into Memory



Children's book illustrators literally colored the way I perceive the world even today. One of the really surprising things about having a child is that it has returned forgotten memory to me. On the first day of the year Carmen and I purchased some children's books for Little Toot. In looking through some used books I came across The Magic Story Tree - Fifteen Favorite Fables and Fairy Tales illustrated by Lucille and H.C. Holling. I was surprised by the memory that flooded back when I started looking at the illustrations. I had this book. Not the same one mind you, but one just like it. I still see the world in these colors and with the same little hash mark shading.

Want some cheese little fellow?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the second photo! I've been searching for this book of Mother Goose nursery rhymes that I had as a kid for a few years and recently someone donated it to the library. I was so excited to see it again. Luckily I get to live in the land of children's books everyday.