Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Steam Heat and Afternoon Tea


I have decided to use this blogging experience as a sort of meditation on daily living. Being present.

By luck I was able to come home in the late afternoon. Tea time. I put a kettle on to boil and trudged through sloppy wet snow to feed and water the chickens. They seem happy enough and happier still when the lid is lifted from the can of cracked corn. They cluck contented upon seeing me but that is only because I am associated with food. I don't fool myself into thinking they like me.

Back in the kitchen I am met with the steamy warmth of a kettle left to boil. Today I fill a cup with a teaspoon of honey from a neighbors hive. I live smack in the city but within hundreds of feet we have local honey, fresh eggs, produce and the trappings of country fare. We are lucky.

The sound of water boiling meets the soft clink of tin lid on tin kettle as I pour water in my cup. My red tea (rooibos) and yerba mate makes me think of Che Guevara. I sit now typing this. My meditation over. Or... just beginning.

No comments: